Re: Making a phone call with GNOME

On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 19:13 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 at 10:39:39 +0000, Bob Ham wrote:
My colleague François Téchené recently wrote a blog post³ proposing a
unified UX using a "feature"-based approach rather than an
application-based approach.  This proposal comes from the ideas of
Ethical Design⁴.  The technological underpinnings of this UX are already
largely extant in Telepathy.

Unfortunately, the technological underpinnings of that UX are also a
large part of why Telepathy is no longer actively developed. Designing
an abstraction across protocols that are not "the same shape" is really
hard. Maintaining that abstraction in Telepathy soaked up a lot of
developer time, and the need to keep that abstraction API-stable made it
disproportionately hard to add new features (which is why, as previously
noted, Telepathy had trouble keeping up with "modern XMPP": adding a
new feature required touching at least three projects, and making it
API-stable often required investigating multiple protocols to make sure
the API would fit them all).

Going back to the discussion last year, again.... this is one of the
aspects that Pidgin/libpurple handles fairly decently. It supports
multiple protocols through its messaging and media APIs, with various
underlying feature sets.

Now that I spend *most* of my work conference call time in Pidgin, I'm
thinking of adding voice call support to its SIP protocol plugin. My
USB wireless headset is nicer than my DECT one :)