Re: About lib version and git

El mié, 17-01-2018 a las 12:01 +0100, Bastien Nocera escribió:
Hey Daniel,

On Wed, 2018-01-17 at 11:49 +0100, Daniel Garcia Moreno wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM, Philip Withnall <philip tecnocode co
.uk> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-01-16 at 12:17 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
It doesn't really matter when you do it.  There are some

important
things:

* Make sure the new header files are parallel-installable with

the
old
ones.

* Make sure the soname in the library changes.  Grep for

LT_VERSION
here: https://wiki.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner/Releasing -

although
I'm
not sure how this works in Meson.

Just to avoid apps that use the old API to inadvertently try to
compile/link with the new one.

There is a documentation page covering this in its entirety:

https://developer.gnome.org/programming-guidelines/unstable/paralle
l-in
stallability.html.en

Pay attention to all of it; if there’s only one part of your
library
which is not parallel installable, the whole thing is effectively
not
parallel installable.

I've changed the version number and the build names so now for the
next version all goes with a different name, so I think that this
will allow different versions of libgepub running in the same system.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libgepub/commit/d721c7ebba040b935d3c8e
0456ccf5a4a674e531

These are all files that will install libgepub:

local
local/lib
local/lib/libgepub-0.6.so
local/lib/girepository-1.0
local/lib/girepository-1.0/Gepub-0.6.typelib
local/lib/libgepub-0.6.so.0.0.0
local/lib/libgepub-0.6.so.0
local/lib/pkgconfig
local/lib/pkgconfig/libgepub-0.6.pc
local/share
local/share/gir-1.0
local/share/gir-1.0/Gepub-0.6.gir
local/include
local/include/libgepub-0.6
local/include/libgepub-0.6/gepub-widget.h
local/include/libgepub-0.6/gepub-archive.h
local/include/libgepub-0.6/gepub-text-chunk.h
local/include/libgepub-0.6/gepub-doc.h
local/include/libgepub-0.6/gepub.h

With this change, anyone that uses libgepub should specify the
version in his code and link with -lgepub-0.6 for example.

Is this the recommended way to do that?

That looks correct, but I'm wondering which branches one is supposed to
use now. There's a libgepub-0.5 and a libgepub-0.6 branch, as well as a
master branch.

Usually, you'd use branches for continuing stable releases, and master
for ongoing development. Is libgepub-0.6 your tests before merging into
master?

Yes, libgepub-0.6 is only for test, and to show you the changes. I'm
merging this in master now, so I'll remove the libgepub-0.6 branch
until we make the release.