Re: Protected branches in GNOME's GitLab

A small correction from Florian's asnwer:

We had a period that some branches were protected by default because I didn't know how to deactivate that. But it shouldn't be the case for new projects or new migrated projects.

Cheers

On 30 April 2018 at 19:19, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 6:30 PM Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:

> Does it mean, that an automatically created user in GNOME's GitLab
> instance, basically a complete stranger, receives the Developer
> privilege, even when it's a Reporter (in bugzilla terms)?

No. In the GNOME group, only people with GNOME git access have Developer
privilege (that is, everyone who is allowed to push to git.gnome.org). If
anyone else wants to contribute changes, they have to fork the project in
their personal namespace. As they have full ownership of their fork (Master
privilege), they can push all the changes they want however they see fit
(but without affecting the original upstream repository of course).

Only when they want their changes to be applied back upstream they open a
merge request (from some branch in their forked repository to a branch
(likely master) in the original repo), and someone with Developer privilege
can then review those changes and merge them once they are happy with the
result.

> Which branches are marked as protected in GNOME's GitLab? The master
> branch is probably protected by default. Which are the other branches?

None as far as I know.

> According to [1] I can mark/unmark branches as protected when I'm at
> least the Master level of the project, but doing that each six months
> when branching for stable feels like one more thing to easily forget
> about, thus it would be nice to have some common "mark-as-protected
> gnome-X-YZ branches when created"

You can protect multiple branches with a single rule by using a wildcard,
for example "gnome-*" (to catch all current and future stable branches) or
"gnome-3-*" (to make unintended matches less likely).

Cheers,
Florian