Re: Wayland screen capture

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 01:36:48PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
I've just added screen sharing support to Pidgin, based on ximagesrc:

https://bitbucket.org/pidgin/main/pull-requests/330#Lpidgin/gtkrequest.cT1783

It's not wonderfully pretty, but it basically works, under X. I don't
like the fact that I ended up using XQueryPointer(), but I don't think
gdk_device_get_window_at_position() works for *foreign* windows, does
it?

More importantly, it's completely hosed for sharing either the full
desktop or individual windows which are Wayland clients. And I have no
real clue how to fix it. Suggestions please... :)

On Wayland, you should use the API provided by xdg-desktop-portal:
org.freedesktop.portal.ScreenCast. It is not directly related to X11
though, and should work the same no matter what windowing system you
use. Read more about it here:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Mutter/RemoteDesktop

Jonas