Re: Documentation - language default

On 04/04/2018 05:35 PM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
You can have the best documentation in the world — but if you don't have people working on the tooling and the actual integration between the language and the platform, then you don't have anything that other people can use.

Indeed, and the intention behind Sri's email was to get input from the wider GNOME dev community about the state of the tooling so we can build documentation around the language and platform capable of giving the best app developer experience.

To give a little context, we didn't approach this with a goal of promoting Javascript. We started by asking which one language would be the easiest for an app developer to use to build a new application for GNOME desktops. This covered both the difficult of the language itself, the developer community around it, the GNOME specific tooling that would be used, and the documentation already available. We decided that, from what we knew, Javascript was probably the best option across all of these considerations, but we weren't sure, so Sri brought it up on this list to get wider input.

So, to reiterate, the goal is not to promote Javascript on GNOME. The goal is to pick one language to use in promoting application development on GNOME.

--
Michael Hall
mhall119 gmail com