Re: Application name strings consistency

Michael Catanzaro <mike catanzaro gmail com> wrote:
* Maps appears as GNOME Maps in Software, Maps in about dialog
* Clocks appears as GNOME Clocks in Software, Clocks in about dialog
* Music appears as GNOME Music in Software, Music in about dialog
* Software appears as GNOME Software in Software, Software in about dialog

I like this style. The app shouldn't have a totally generic name in the software center, so we prepend GNOME to the generic display name there.

I disagree. For some time I've argued that we should drop the "GNOME". Reasons for this:

1. App names should be consistent.
2. We generally don't expect users to know what GNOME is.
3. There are other, better, places we can advertise the project, if that's what we want to do.

Allan