Re: Relicensing Nautilus to GPLv3+

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 17:01 +0300, Ernestas Kulik wrote:
(Attempt no. 2, since Geary hates me)

Hi,

As the current licensing situation in Nautilus is quite complicated,
and Carlos are planning a move to relicense the entire codebase to
GPLv3+.

The codebase has files under several licenses: LGPLv2+, GPLv2+ and
GPLv3+, the latter implicitly making the project be licensed under
its
terms, so our options are quite limited here.

The situation wrt extensions is also not entirely clear, as the
extension library is LGPLv2+ with Nautilus being GPLv2+, which in
turn
disallows loading non-free extensions. Given the fact that it is not
meant to be a generic mechanism for loading extensions, I feel like
relicensing it without much consideration is reasonable.

If nautilus is GPLv3+, that means we can't link it against GPLv2-only
or LGPLv2-only libraries in the extensions. I'm also not opening the
can of worms that is non-GPL-compatible dependencies of extensions
(such as proprietary, or patent-encumbered GStreamer plugins), because
that's an existing problem.

What's the end goal for relicensing? What problems do the current
license cause that require a relicense?

Cheers