Subject: Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org
Local Time: May 17, 2017 2:03 PM
UTC Time: May 17, 2017 12:03 PM
From: jehan marmottard gmail com
To: Carlos Soriano <csoriano protonmail com>
desktop-devel-list <desktop-devel-list gnome org>

Hi,

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Carlos Soriano <csoriano protonmail com> wrote:
> So the main problem is autotools rebuilds everything when switching
> branches, even if the files didn't change?
> That's sounds very strange, autotools builds based on mtime of the files,
> and I checked this personally.

Yes that's how autotools works.

> Are you sure of the reason of this situation? Could it be because the branch
> is not rebased properly on top of the master branch (and the UI in GitLab
> will say so, so the contributor will need to do it because otherwise there
> is no fast forward merge anyway)?

As I said in the email you answer, that's the most obvious reason, yes. :-)
Quoting myself:

> actually for good reasons sometimes; for instance often the branch would be based on older commits than master HEAD

The contributor will usually work on master and when one pushes, it
would be usually properly rebased (though while one worked, there
would usually be commits). Then patches are rarely immediately
reviewed the next few minutes! It may be days until we make time to do
so. You cannot ask a contributor to rebase the branch constantly and
immediately at the second when you want to review (they also have
their own schedules and not at our orders!). Even more if you review
it in several steps accross several days (which could happen for
complicated patch).
So no, we are usually the ones to rebase the contributor's branch.
That means, when we do rebase, it's too late. We already checked out
the branch, file timestamps changed and are not going to be reverted.
So the next `make` will be long, even if we rebased.

GIMP has commits nearly every day, and very often many commits a day.
You cannot expect the contributor branches to be always up to date
with master. They will always be at least a few commits late. And even
more since we don't review straight away.

Jehan