Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
In recent months we have got together to examine the possibilities for
GNOME’s development infrastructure. We’ve spent a lot of time on this,
because we want the community to have faith in our conclusions. If you are
interested in this, you can read our research on the wiki [1].

Excellent. I think most will agree it’s time we implement such changes.

The outcome of this evaluation process is that we are recommending that
GNOME sets up its own GitLab instance, as a replacement for Bugzilla and
cgit.

This mail mentions Gitlab as the only alternative. I know some people
suggested to consider Phabricator, yet your proposal doesn’t mention
it and by the looks of the wiki pages your research has been focused
around Gitlab. Now I know very little about both Gitlab and
Phabricator so I won’t push or block anything, but I’m a bit worried
that this wasn’t given enough scrutiny. In particular, I saw that
Phabricator has a tool for mockups/design (Pholio [0]) that really
looked like something we’d make good use of. It would allow our
designers to stop using Github, Dropbox, and such non free,
not-on-our-infrastructure tools.

So did you just look at Gitlab and think it’s good enough, or did you
actually consider Phabricator (and maybe other alternatives) and pick
Gitlab as the best fit?

[0] https://www.phacility.com/phabricator/pholio/

--
Alexandre Franke