Re: Paperwork : a personal document manager (scanned and PDFs)

2 mai 2017 17:30 "Bastien Nocera" <hadess hadess net> a écrit:

Hey,

On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 12:54 +0000, jflesch gmail com wrote:

First of all, I want to thank you all for your comments and
feedbacks. I wasn't really expecting such a nice welcome :-)

Regarding the HIG, you can actually also thank Mathieu Jourdan ( http
s://github.com/mjourdan ). He has been providing me with awesome
mockups.

Regarding the goals, I think we can agree it would be best to keep
Gnome documents, simple-scan and Paperwork separated, at least for
now:

- Simple-scan: For me, the way I see it, it's more of a general scan
application. It can do wonder, but my understanding is that it's not
intended as a document manager. For instance, I used it to scan this
drawing : https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/135331/22778343
e449f9c2-eeb6-11e6-9edc-ece6f372d147.png . Scanning it with Gnome
Documents or Paperwork wouldn't have make sense.
- Gnome Documents: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems mostly
focused at electronics documents (.odt, .pdf, etc).
- Paperwork: As stated previously, it has a very clear focus on paper
documents. PDFs are mostly a side-effect so people don't have to
switch between document managers all the time. It's also intended to
let the users do as little as possible .. and some people just don't
want that (I got a bunch of tickets over time regarding putting
titles on documents ...). So, while its goal may overlap Gnome
Documents, I don't think one size fits all here.

If I could give you a piece of advice, it would be to try and share the
maximum amount of code with simple-scan and what would become the
GNOME-ified version of it. That is, start by hacking on simple-scan for
all the "simpler" stuff, making sure to split off the bits you want to
reuse, like the scanning, calibrating, and cropping UI, the OCR
support, and the system-wide configuration, if that happens.

It makes sense.
Since simple-scan is written in vala/C and Paperwork in Python 3, I guess any common ground would have to be
written in C/GObject. It's going to take time ... Not sure if I will ever enough free time to do everything I
would like to :-)

In the longer term, that would mean that you would get more people
working on this portion of the code, so more eyeballs, maintenance, and
features "for free" for your application. I could also see this part as
very interesting to integrate into other GNOME-ish applications, such
as the GIMP, or Inkscape, in the longer term.

OCRFeeder is also another project that you could be interested in
looking at, it's an OCR application for GNOME, though it's not in the
"highly maintained" category.

Cheers