Building GNOME in restrictive network environments

Hi all,

I've gotten multiple complaints at GUADEC that it's not possible to clone GNOME modules because the university network is blocking the git protocol. This is particularly common at universities in third-world countries, where it's common for newcomers to complain about this, but seems it happens in Europe too. So I have changed JHBuild to clone stuff using https:// rather than git://. I'm testing this now and will push as soon as I'm sure I haven't broken anything.

Caveats:

 * I have not updated all of gnome-world, so contributions are welcome there as usual. But all the supported 3.26 modulesets should now be completely fixed.

 * Some modules clone git:// submodules. Please be on the lookout for these. For example, this is .gitmodules in gnome-online-accounts:

# Bad
[submodule "telepathy-account-widgets"]
 path = telepathy-account-widgets
 url = "" href="git://git.gnome.org/telepathy-account-widgets.git">git://git.gnome.org/telepathy-account-widgets.git

It's better to clone using the same protocol as the parent project:

# Good
[submodule "telepathy-account-widgets"]
 path = telepathy-account-widgets
 url = "">

I'll leave it to module maintainers to fix these.

Thanks,

Michael