Re: Thoughs about communication

Hiya Carlos,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM Carlos Soriano <csoriano protonmail com> wrote:
Hey Sri,

I want to see this happen too and I encouraged Alberto to start this thread, he proposed the same as you, using #newcomers channel as one of the precursors, since is one of the first channels for new people.

Yep, it made sense to me.

However, I think #newcomers is not the best place to experiment, things are alteady all confusing and hard (from a newcomer perspective) and adding two ways of communication and in the experiment phase is going to make it worse.

OK, no problem, we can take it out on the initial testing.  Let us know when you think is the right thing you feel would work best for you.  Handling newcomers is something you've been doing so I will respect that.

Instead we can add #gnome-hackers or so, where there are quite a few people (I would love to have #nautilus too, regular contributors agreed on experimenting), and once we agree on matrix or whatever then switch #newcomers to matrix or whatever as single documented way of comunication.

I'm going to not put #gnome-hackers just yet as I think it is still culturally a little different in terms of audience.  But others have no problems, I am happy to add it.  I just see it as a place for GNOME devs to be social.  I"m assuming that new people will show up using matrix rather than the existing devs converting to matrix.

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks for weighing in, I appreciate it.

sri

Carlos Soriano