Re: Thoughs about communication

On 23/01/2017 08:05, philip chimento gmail com wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 10:16 AM Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org
<mailto:afranke gnome org>> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Michael Catanzaro
<mcatanzaro gnome org <mailto:mcatanzaro gnome org>> wrote:
The rest of your points are still valid, though. Sounds like they
could
be resolved by improving the Matrix website (maybe needs a big
"take me
to chat" button).

The matrix.org <http://matrix.org> homepage has two "Try Matrix Now!"
links, one in the menu (second item) on top and one in the middle of
the screen. The page that leads to has a selection of four clients
for four platforms (command line, desktop/web, ios and Android) and
only below that is there a more exhaustive list. Clicking on Riot
links to a presentation page with a link to launch it directly.

I think that's rather reasonable.

In practice we do find a lot of people manage not to find the 'try matrix now' links on Matrix.org, unfortunately. Thanks both for the datapoints; there's a new version of the website being planned currently that should fix this.

I tried Riot, the web client, again today and I must say I was
pleasantly surprised! As others have noted it's improved by leaps
and bounds in one year.

yay!

Anyone else who wants to try it out, come chat in #gnome:matrix.org
<http://matrix.org>! (link for web client:
https://riot.im/app/#/room/#gnome:matrix.org) You don't even need to
create an account to try it out. It's really low friction.

There are IRC bridges to freenode and moznet on matrix.org
<http://matrix.org>, and you can join IRC channels on those servers
using the Matrix client. We could probably set up a bridge to
gimpnet, although I have no idea how much hassle it is to do that. If
it's not too much hassle, I'd say let's do it as soon as possible!

We'd be very haappy to run an official gimpnet bridge hosted by matrix.org; we'll drop by the ops channel on gimpnet to coordinate the details (which is basically just ensuring there's an I:line or similar to allow all the connections in from the matrix.org bridge instance).

I think the friction could still be reduced by quite a lot,
particularly since (for me) the main reason to direct people to
Matrix is to make chatting in the GNOME community more open to new
community members, inexperienced ones, and non-software-oriented
ones.

Here are my suggestions for reducing the friction, both for newbies
(maybe coming from Slack) and for old hands coming from IRC:

- The front page of the web site is really not suitable for us to
redirect people to as part of a "welcome to the GNOME community"
process. It's pretty sleek but its target audience is ... well ...
Matrix developers. Here is my tongue-in-cheek analysis of my thought
process on seeing it, with and without my techy hat... [1]

- The client is described as "If you like glossy and feature-rich
web clients, try Riot." In other words, "normal" unless you come from
IRC :-) As a new contributor to GNOME, am I going to be judged for
being too "glossy" and not hardcore enough if I click on that? Maybe
we could just link people directly to [2] and only secondarily to
matrix.org <http://matrix.org> if they wanted a phone app or
commandline client.

The way we normally expect people to onboard their community is to link straight through to a page like https://riot.im/app/#/room/#gnome:matrix.org like you did above. Or possibly https://matrix.to/#/#gnome:matrix.org (although this needs to be much glossier).

- You have to turn on the RTE message editor to get some features
like emoji that people would expect coming from other messaging apps,
but it's buried in Settings and is marked "experimental". I'd suggest
we wait until it's stable and enabled by default before recommending
a switch for the GNOME community.

The RTE editor was a 2016 GSoC project which sadly hasn't quite made it ready to be enabled by default (and the student is now focused on studies). We can try to expedite its development or find someone to take it over - it's just a simple matter of debugging the various remaining issues it has, but we've been prioritising other stuff so far. Is it specifically the emoji-picker that you're after?

- Searching for information about how to connect to IRC rooms or set
up an IRC bridge on matrix.org <http://matrix.org>, the best I could
find was this: [3] :-(

That's for running your own bridge. Agreed that the UX for joining new channels (and in future servers) in Riot could be improved better; it's already improved quite a lot, but we'll be landing stuff over the next few weeks to hopefully make it more intuitive.

Re. the last point, I eventually discovered how to connect to
already-bridged IRC rooms though in another link posted elsewhere in
this thread [4]. After a bit of experimentation I determined that if
a particular room hasn't been used yet on the bridge, it won't show
up in search results, but you can just type the name it would be
expected to have, and it'll get created on demand. So, e.g., I
created #freenode_#hotdoc:matrix.org <http://matrix.org>.

Yup. this is precisely the UX mess we're trying to fix atm.

thanks for all the feedback; we're really trying to make Riot the holy grail for this kind of use case :)

Matthew

Regards, Philip C

[1] http://pasteboard.co/pqKKmBt7l.png [2] https://riot.im/app/ [3]
http://matrix.org/docs/guides/application_services.html [4]