Re: Librsvg 2.41.0 is released

On 01/05/2017 07:25 PM, Adrian Perez de Castro wrote:
Could you elaborate on what's the issue with gtk-rs? The way things work, the
code from it will be statically linked into librsvg, and if librsvg uses
actual {GTK+,GLib,cairo} functions, then librsvg links *dynamically* to
lib{gtk+,glib,cairo} (the ones made in C) as it would do anyway before when
Rust wasn't used. Only the glue bits from gtk-rs which allow to use the
libraries from Rust are linked into librsvg. Honestly, I fail to see how this
is a problem.

I hesitate to join the conversation because I'm uninformed. But I will!

When "static linking" and GObject are used in the same sentence red
flags start flying because they often do not play well together.

I think the real question about whether or not static linking is okay
from a correctness perspective, can be framed as:

Does a static link of gtk-rs in librsvg prevent others from using gtk-rs
in consuming applications because any GType (glue code!) has been
registered which will conflict with an applications use of gtk-rs.

This must be answered first and foremost.

-- Christian