Re: Hello && About Maintainership of Gtranslator

Hi Sébastien,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:27:25PM +0300, Muhammet Kara wrote:
> I have been using gtranslator for years, and I love it. Lack of updates on
> gtranslator has been bugging me for quite some time, and I have decided to
> take action after seeing it on the Unmaintained list.[0]
>
> I would like to help fix its bugs (when/if I can), and at least keep it
> alive/usable. And I would be happy to co-maintain it with a more
> experienced maintainer/developer.
>
> I first wrote a message about this to the gtranslator-list, and also CC'ed
> the last maintainer about seven weeks ago. About two weeks ago (if I am not
> mistaken) on irc (#gtranslator), he told that he had been busy, and he
> would write a proper response soon. On Alexandre Franke's suggestion, we
> have been waiting for the reponse to get some insight about Seán's plans
> for the master branch since the old UI was wiped in master, and it is not
> in a usable state. I am still waiting for that.

So the usable state is on the gtranslator-2-91 branch? It is probably a
better idea to restart from that point, and always keep gtranslator in a
usable state.

That would also be my first choice, but I was advised to go with the master branch because the other one is too old. Nonetheless, I would be happy to go with the stable branch, and try to bring it up to date if we don't get the insight about the master branch soon.

> In the meantime, I committed a few patches to the current master and the
> gtranslator-2-91 branches (thanks to Alexandre Franke for the reviews on
> bugzilla). And I have also submitted a few more patches to bugzilla.[1][2]
> (Reviews are most appreciated. :))
>
> I have been a local GNOME advocate, and a translator so far. And I would
> love to continue my GNOME journey also as a developer.
>
> Any help and directions are appreciated.

If you don't have a computer science background, it'll be more difficult
for you to work alone on gtranslator. Although it is entirely possible
to learn programming oneself, I think the state of gtranslator will
first get worse, then once you've gained more experience it'll improve.

In fact, I *sort of* have a cs background. I have been working in the field of chemistry for almost a decade while playing with code as a hobbyist, and contributing to free software mainly as a translator. A few years ago, I decided to completely switch to a cs career path, and passed the entrance exam for a bs degree in cs. While I am still attending the school as a senior student of the cs department, I am also working as a part-time developer.

For GLib/GTK+, I've started writing this guide:
https://people.gnome.org/~swilmet/glib-gtk-book/

This guide will fill a huge gap. Thank you for your efforts!

You can also ask to previous gtranslator maintainers what they think
(e.g. Ignacio Casal Quinteiro, nacho on IRC).

I'll do that! :)

--
Sébastien

Cheers,