Re: Thoughs about communication

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Carlos Soriano via desktop-devel-list
<desktop-devel-list gnome org> wrote:
Should we go ahead then? Sri, let's go with #gnome and #engagement for now?
If the bridge works out well, we can move more channels to it soon.

As Matthew said:
There may be some confusion here about the dynamics of Matrix bridging. In
practice, when bridging to IRC, Matrix just acts as a big decentralised IRC
bouncer. It connects on a per-network, not a per-channel basis, and the
Matrix users who pop up on IRC look and feel like a normal IRC client
connection... because they are. It just happens to be that the client is
running on a Matrix/IRC bridge and syncing that user's history into Matrix
for them.

So we don't have to/can't choose channels that are bridged. Not in a
whitelist fashion. We can however mark specific channels as private
(for those with sensitive discussions).

Matthew, anything blocking the bridging on our side?

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director