Re: GitHub Development Platform for GNOME

On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 14:09 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
Le lundi 10 avril 2017 à 01:25 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan a écrit :
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 1:14 AM, Walter Vargas <waltervargas@linux.
co
m> wrote:
I want to share my humble opinion and thoughts about
GitHub/GitLab:

From what I've been hearing, people within GNOME have been
evaluating
the possibility of running our own GitLab instance, so I would wait
and see what the results of their testing is.

And we need not to forget that a lot of the freedesktop community [0]
projects are moving to Phabricator (even though it does not come with
an easy patch submission mechanism).

There’s git-phab, which is pretty good. You do need to install it
though (`pip3 install git-phab`).

If you don’t install git-phab, the patch upload process is basically
the same as Bugzilla: `git format-patch …` then attach it to a form and
submit.

Phabricator explicitly doesn’t support pull requests, and there’s some
justification for that in nudging people towards code review: https://s
ecure.phabricator.com/phame/post/view/766/write_review_merge_publish_ph
abricator_review_workflow/ (written by one of the Phabricator authors).

Phabricator’s patch review system is unsurpassed (in my experience of
GitHub, GitLab, Phabricator and Bugzilla) in its support for patch
sets, inter-diffs, and tracking review comments through multiple
iterations of a review. It’s beautiful. I think I’m in love.

Philip