Subject: GitHub Development Platform for GNOME
Local Time: April 9, 2017 9:44 PM
UTC Time: April 9, 2017 7:44 PM
From: waltervargas linux com
To: desktop-devel-list gnome org

I want to share my humble opinion and thoughts about GitHub/GitLab:

I get worried about the long-term viability of the GNOME project after running
an iteration over OODA Loop (observe, orient, decide, act)[1].

Canonical's recent decision about not maintaining unity for Ubuntu makes it
quite clear that Desktop is not the priority anymore, IoT and Mobile are the
priority now, and now GitHub is the world leading development platform.

Since the primary goal is to provide a developer experience that does not act as
a barrier to new contributors, Should we be more pragmatic about that and
reconsider GitHub as an option?

Is it a dogmatic foundational decision not to evaluate GitHub because it is not
Free Software?

Kind Regards

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop