Re: Pull request template for github mirror

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:44:45PM +0100, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
> This has already been discussed:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2015-May/msg00004.html
>
> The suggestion was to add a CONTRIBUTING.md file, which I did for the
> modules that I maintain.

Replying to myself, adding the CONTRIBUTING.md file has apparently had
the intended effect for at least the gedit, gtksourceview and latexila
modules.

For gtksourceview, I see that one contributor has opened a pull request
recently, but closed it by himself and opened a bug in bugzilla.

Also, in every module it is normally explained how to contribute and
submit patches, either in the README or HACKING file. The HACKING file
contains other important information for contributing. So, if someone
creates a pull request on GitHub, it means that the contributor didn't
read the README or HACKING, so the patch has probably a poor quality… Do
we really need to care about all those random patches by contributors
who don't do their homework?

yes. It is a bit of a stretch to assume that a patch will be low quality simply because the author did not read the HACKING file.

I prefer what Lasse is proposing. However, just like the CONTRIBUTING.md file any maintainer can already add a .github/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md file to be even more visible about the policy on pull requests.