Re: Application id, XDG App, and you.

Well, having "Aliases" means that to look up "gnome-clocks.desktop",
we would have to parse through and read every desktop file at startup,
for anything that wanted to match, since we still don't have a
.desktop file cache. But it would help in the reverse case -- when the
file gets renamed, also check out the aliases. But we also have the
reverse merging problem (what if there's multiple aliases and each one
has a different policy? Yikes)

At some point I should probably make a proposal to xdg-list. I think
we should probably also have a .desktop file cache as a general
component so we can make proposals like this without having to worry
about implementation cost. I know desrt was working on this at some
point, but I don't know how far she got with it.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Simon McVittie