Re: Application id, XDG App, and you.

There's one giant hole here, which is that the app ID is used as a
primary key for lots of things, like Favorited Applications, Preferred
MIME Type Handlers, Notification and Privacy settings and such, and a
lot more.

Currently, we get around Favorited Applications in GNOME by having a
giant hashmap of changes, but this isn't scalable.

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/tree/js/ui/appFavorites.js#n9

One thing I've wanted in the past is a very simple file to allow
someone to declare an alias for an application. So GNOME Clocks would
ship both an org.gnome.clocks.desktop and a gnome-clocks.desktop, the
latter looking something like:

    [Desktop Entry]
    AliasFor=org.gnome.clocks.desktop

Unless this is also taken care of in another way by xdg-app.
Otherwise, it's really unfortunate and kinda broken that we don't have
a good migration path here, especially as we're asking a lot of people
to make yet *another* change.

Also, we should probably update GApplication to emit a warning when
passing it an invalid ID like this.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Simon McVittie