Pulse audio Jack detect

Hi all,

We are a non profit. We use debian/gnome for a dedicated distance learning tool.
We have about 600 units installed. Have a look on our website, it's actually pretty cool what we do :)

The learning tool is basically a customized video conferencing app.

We heavily rely on Pulse audio to configure audio devices . In our current setup we get quite some support related to configurations of audio devices that use a combined mini-jack for microphone and headphone. Especially new laptops nowadays have one combined port instead of two separate.

What we have found is we can configure pulse audio to automatically select newly connected devices, which works great. However, pulse audio jack-detect cannot determine if the newly connected device is a microphone, headphone or combined device.  So if a user for example wants to use external speakers and the built in microphone, the moment the speakers are connected, pulseaudio will reconfigure speaker and microphone. Which is wrong ...

Canonical has built a tool which will prompt the user the to select which device he/she connected. Have a look here: http://voices.canonical.com/david.henningsson/2014/03/07/headset-jacks-on-newer-laptops/

We have a developer that can port this to gnome . For us this would mean decreased support request, and improved user experience.

Would the gnome project be interested in this development? Can we push our changes upstream? Do we need to coordinate efforts?

Regards

Bart

2014_logoBN.jpgBednet vzw - synchroon internetonderwijs

Bart Mariën - ICT Medewerker

Jean Jaureslaan 108 / 001 ,9050 Gentbrugge

GSM: 0476/ 053 358

www.bednet.bebart marien bednet be

Dankzij de vrijgevigheid van velen is Bednet gratis omdat onderwijs een recht is van ieder kind, ook als het ziek is. Wil u mee dit recht beschermen, surf dan naar www.bednet.be en ontdek hoe u ons kan helpen.