Re: monitor setting in gnome using new randr 1.5 option

On 12 November 2015 at 00:50, Stephen Adler <adler stephenadler com> wrote:
Guys,

I have 3 MST type 4K monitor hooked up to my PC and I've been trying to get
linux to work properly and have been chopping at the bit for randr 1.5 to
come out which is supposed to solve the MST tile issue which 4K monitors
suffer from.

Is there something I have to do, configure some file in /etc/ somewhere
which would define which tiles make up a monitor? I'm not sure if there is
something I have to do, or if gnome is supposed to take care of the tiling
for me, by somehow defining which tiles are part of which monitor.

to make matters worse, I have a pair of nvidia cards for which the nvidia
driver does not support xorg 1.18, so I had to downgrade to xorg 1.17. In
doing so, I still have randr 1.5 installed but I don't know if randr 1.5
needs xorg 1.18 or if the two are decoupled enough so that I can run xorg
1.17 with the nvidia driver and get the benefits of the monitor features of
randr 1.5.

Anyone know the answer to all this? I owe you big if you do.

You need X server 1.18 at least.
You also need nvidia to make changes to their driver to support tile
blobs. I'm not sure if they've done this or not.

xrandr --props on their driver when they release 1.18 compatible
driver will tell you.
Dave.