Re: monitor setting in gnome using new randr 1.5 option

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Stephen Adler <adler stephenadler com> wrote:
Thanks,

On 11/11/2015 10:34 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

Hey,

On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 09:50 -0500, Stephen Adler wrote:

Guys,

I have 3 MST type 4K monitor hooked up to my PC and I've been trying
get linux to work properly and have been chopping at the bit for
randr
1.5 to come out which is supposed to solve the MST tile issue which
4K
monitors suffer from.

Is there something I have to do, configure some file in /etc/
somewhere
which would define which tiles make up a monitor? I'm not sure if
there
is something I have to do, or if gnome is supposed to take care of
the
tiling for me, by somehow defining which tiles are part of which
monitor.

to make matters worse, I have a pair of nvidia cards for which the
nvidia driver does not support xorg 1.18, so I had to downgrade to
xorg
1.17. In doing so, I still have randr 1.5 installed but I don't know
if
randr 1.5 needs xorg 1.18 or if the two are decoupled enough so that
can run xorg 1.17 with the nvidia driver and get the benefits of the
monitor features of randr 1.5.

Anyone know the answer to all this? I owe you big if you do.

A question better asked on X.org mailing-lists, but if you need to use
the NVidia drivers, it'd be best to wait until they release new drivers
to avoid mix'n'matching. You can double-check the version of XRandR
supported by the server with "xrandr --version".

With XRandR 1.5, and GNOME 3.18, MST monitors should just work. If they
don't, file a bug against mutter, which handles programming the video
outputs.

Cheers

When you say, it should "just work", do you mean that the tiling problem I'm
having now will disapear since gnome desktop will figure out that I only
have 3 monitors and not 6 tiles. Currently, when I go to configure the
displays, it tells me I have 6 displays to work with (two per physical
monitor). If all is right, then the gnome display configuration tool will
only show me 3 monitors to configure? I hope this is what your telling me.
:)

Yes thats how it is supposed to work afaik (no hardware here to verify).