Re: Current status of the GNOME Github mirror

On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 18:51 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
Hey,

more than half a year has passed since the GNOME Github mirror was
setup and we are incredibly happy that it has contributed positively
to bring more contributors to the GNOME Project. While new
contributors joined the GNOME community and started contributing
through the usual workflow of submitting patches to Bugzilla many
more
made use of Pull Requests (PRs) which we explicitly requested not to
use on the description of the mirror itself [1].

It's clear PRs might be seen as a handy and straightforward way to
contribute code or documentation to a specific GNOME module
especially
for contributors that aren't familiar with GNOME's procedures of
submitting patches.

I hate Pull Requests. Hate, hate, hate.

I hate the workflow both as a user and a maintainer.

This, amongst other things:
http://blog.spreedly.com/2014/06/24/merge-pull-request-considered-harmful/

 On this matter I contacted the Github team asking
whether it was possible to remove PRs on our specific organization.
Unfortunately at this moment of time there's no simple way for that
happen.

Apparently we don't have a simple solution we could apply to solve
the
problem all together

Allowing the upstream maintainers to close those Pull Requests would
be a good start.

<snip>