Re: Installing DBus interface files for services

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Philip Withnall <philip tecnocode co uk> wrote:
I can’t think of any reasons why not. Perhaps a GDBus automake snippet
could be installed by GLib which:
 1. Installs D-Bus XML interface files.
 2. Includes rules for building documentation and C/H files from them.
 3. Validates the XML interface files for well-formedness.

I think that would be really helpful; note that my goal here would be just to make things more convenient for developers and not to use it as a way to guarantee API stability of a service through auto-generated code.
In that sense, I see your points 1), 3) and the first half of 2) as something typically used by the service, and the second half of 2) as something a consumer would call.

Another thing that to take into consideration is that some projects currently encode the location of the DBus interface xml into their pkgconfig file [1].
Is that something we should recommend? I believe if we had this snippet, the macro could just do a lookup following the usual rules of XDG_DATA_DIRS and we could avoid using pkgconfig, but perhaps I'm missing something.

[1] for instance http://cgit.freedesktop.org/geoclue/tree/src/geoclue.pc.in

Cosimo