Re: Installing DBus interface files for services

On Tue, 2015-01-13 at 11:59 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
On 13/01/15 08:08, Philip Withnall wrote:
On Tue, 2015-01-13 at 10:43 +0800, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
I was wondering if there's any reason we typically don't install on
the system DBus XML interface files for services. On my system, I can
see a bunch of definitions in /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces, but it's
by no means a complete list of all the services in the system.
Perhaps a GDBus automake snippet
could be installed by GLib which:
 1. Installs D-Bus XML interface files.
 2. Includes rules for building documentation and C/H files from them.

Be a bit careful with this. It's a good idea up to a point, but most
(all?) D-Bus services do not offer any particular guarantees about the
ABI of their D-Bus introspection XML.

*interesting details snipped*

Good points, but I guess that’s also true (to a lesser extent) with C
headers in /usr/include. There are no explicit guarantees about
stability which come with being installed in that location.

Perhaps we could encourage proper D-Bus API versioning by having a
mandatory dbus_service_version variable in the automake snippet, which
the user has to set? It wouldn’t force them to bump it at the right
time, but at least it would make them think about versioning.
(Hopefully.)

Philip