Re: Discouraging use of sync APIs

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Philip Withnall <philip tecnocode co uk> wrote:
On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 11:22 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On ons, 2015-02-11 at 12:17 +0000, Philip Withnall wrote:
> >
> > I understand where you’re coming from; we should not be irritating
> > experienced developers. I completely agree.
> >
> > What do you think of the proposal to use sync gstdio.h for
> > small/local/pseudo-file-system I/O and async GIO for all other I/O?
>
> I don't think this is a great alternative in many cases. The gstdio
> stuff may work fine from C, but the GObjects etc of gio makes such use
> much nicer from language bindings.

True. Wouldn’t the languages typically have their own native gstdio-like
functions for local file I/O though, which would tend to be integrated
nicely?

_javascript_ doesn't; one of the main reasons behind the decision to make JS the first-class citizen for new Gnome apps developers was precisely that it didn't already have its own platform. I got the impression that using, for example, Python's native local file I/O facilities in the Gnome stack was to be discouraged.
--
Philip