Re: Anyone going to be using ConsoleKit for 3.16 ?

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 03:36:36PM -0500, Ray Strode wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
Can't we hide it behind a --this-is-going-away-in-3.18 configure switch?
That was certainly a possibility, but, what's the advantage of doing
it?  The bug Antoine pointed to shows that distros that use ConsoleKit
in 3.14 are already shipping patches to keep it working. No one who
has chimed in has said that one more would be a big deal.
And this is really only for one release, by 3.18 everyone should be
using the newer apis, and then the patches will go away.

It wouldn't be a big deal to deprecate for a release but no one who
will be using ConsoleKit in 3.16 advocated for that.  And cutting out
the code is a net win for the codebase, so I'd rather do it now than
later.

Because I'm wondering if we're reaching everyone with this announcement,
and it is a bit late in the cycle. Having a configure option would not
mean it is suddenly gone (if they miss this email, they'd also not know
about the patch), but it clearly tells them it'll be gone.

--
Regards,
Olav