Re: Anyone going to be using ConsoleKit for 3.16 ?

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 23:10 +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 02:25:20PM -0500, Ray Strode wrote:
Hey,

I'm wondering if there are distros/platforms that are planning on
using 3.16 and ConsoleKit together.

I know there's LoginKit, systemd-shim and systembsd now that try
to provide logind compatible interfaces for non-systemd systems,
so I'd really like to get rid of the ConsoleKit code in GDM.
The code is complicated and not really tested.

I'm leaning toward getting rid of it in 3.16 (versus say 3.18).
Distros, of course, could ship a patch to reverse to removal if
necessary, so I don't think doing it for 3.16 should be too
controversial, but I wanted to shoot a mail first anyway to gauge
the reaction.

Hi Ray.

Thanks a lot asking about this.
OpenBSD *will* keep using ConsoleKit for 3.16. I expect that we
should be able to be rid of it for 3.18 -- either using systembsd
(far from ready) or the logind implementation that ConsoleKit2 is
expected to provide iirc or ... something else.
There are several other components of GNOME that still have "some"
ConsoleKit support (at least in 3.14) and I would not mind removing
such support for 3.16 if and only if reverting the removal is easy
and not too intrusive.
Not that I have a big say about it but...

Hello Ray,

FreeBSD will also be using ConsoleKit for 3.16. Antoine pretty much
said everything that goes for us already.

-Koop