Re: Developer Docs Roadmap [was Re: Glade release to include GtkHeaderBar?]

Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
While I'm sure a dynamic site would be a great idea in the far future, are
there any small, actionable goals we can make for this?

We all dream of a great docs scenario, but we never properly plan for it.
What small wins can we get today, right now, to improve the experience? I
have some free time to hack on it.

There's a bunch of tasks over there:
https://wiki.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/Tasks/DeveloperDocs#developer.gnome.org

You will also find some in bugzilla, product: website, component:
developer.gnome.org.

Most items are about classification, it's mostly actioned via a single
file in library-web:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/library-web/tree/data/overlay.xml.in

  Add a section for "C++ Development" (put this at the bottom of the
  page). Move the links to the "programming with gtkmm3", libsigc++ and
  libxml++ pages to this section.

"The page" is https://developer.gnome.org/guides.

That page is defined by this snippet:

   <subindex id="guides" weight="1">
     <sections>overview gdp-documentation tutorials faqs devel-guides ApplicationsProgramming</sections>
     <_title>Guides</_title>
     <_abstract>
       A growing selection of development guides on common topics.
     </_abstract>
   </subindex>

We want a new section, we add c++-development to the <sections> tag;
then we want to define it, and want it at the bottom,

   <subsection channel="devel" id="c++-development" weight="0.1"/>

And we need to give it a proper title, it's in another file,
catalog.xml.in so it can be translated, we add a new line:

   <_msgstr msgid="c++-development">C++ Development</_msgstr>

Then we want some content in that section, we find the "Programming
with gtkmm" link,

   <document doc_module="gtkmm-tutorial" old-channel="users" channel="devel">
     <category>devel-guides</category>
   </document>

and change its category, from devel-guides to c++-development. Then
we do the same thing for libsigc++ and libxml++ tutorials, and we're
done with that item.

Voila, I didn't do it for real, I may have made some typo but that's
the general idea; of course there's the hackability problem, it takes
time to have an exact mirror of developer.gnome.org running locally
but it's probably not needed.

Don't hesitate to file bugs with patches, I'll review them quickly.

        Fred