Re: Call for OPW project ideas

Hi Jan,

I think that in most European countries you can't legally "force" a
non-local jurisdiction on an individual volunteer, so that part of the
"contract"[*] would be legally very dubious...

Citation needed. Your definition of "forced" here is also bit dubious imho.

[*] I'm not sure if a judge would accept a "contract" that is forced
upon a unpaid volunteer individual and contains disproportionate and/or
unequal language to be legally valid at all.

Again, if the volunteer signs this contract, in what world does the law say they are being forced to sign it?

Magdalen

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Jan Claeys <lists janc be> wrote:
Benjamin Berg schreef op ma 03-11-2014 om 22:46 [+0100]:
>       * If someone starts a civil lawsuit against me, I do want my local
>         jurisdiction to apply. I have no way of properly defending
>         myself if a US court is responsible. I do understand that the
>         foundation does not want to be sued outside the country it is
>         based, but the same is true for everyone involved.

I think that in most European countries you can't legally "force" a
non-local jurisdiction on an individual volunteer, so that part of the
"contract"[*] would be legally very dubious...

[*] I'm not sure if a judge would accept a "contract" that is forced
upon a unpaid volunteer individual and contains disproportionate and/or
unequal language to be legally valid at all.  (But of course the GNOME
foundation's local jurisdiction and the volunteer's local jurisdiction
might disagree on that too.)

--
Jan Claeys