Re: PSA: Accessibility in a menubar-less design

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs igalia com> wrote:

On a related note, looking at your change [1], given that you are using
symbolic icons, I wonder if those could have default names set by Gtk+
so that you and other app devs don't have to provide names unless the
default provided by Gtk+ is not quite right. Matthias and/or Benjamin?

We do provide default a11y names for many symbolic and nonsymbolic
icon names. Unfortunately, due to the way GtkButtonAccessible (fails
to) deal with button content, you will only see that in orca if the
image is set as _the_ image of the button, with gtk_button_set_image
(or by setting the image property in the ui file.

I'm okay with there being no tooltip. As for the accessible name, I
personally think it should match whatever word(s) we use to describe it
when talking about it (to end users) and in documentation. In other
words, if you wanted me to click on that thing, you'd probably tell me
something like, "Click on the foo button." In which case the accessible
name should be "foo."

I think 'Menu' is about right as accessible name for the gear menu ?
After all, it is 'the menu'. The dropdown next to the open button
should probably be 'Recent files', though.