Re: About writing new apps from scratch

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 05:57:09PM +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
I hope this answers your question.

Yes, partly.

New apps for GNOME is a good thing, when the existing applications in
the field aren't well integrated with GNOME.

But for Music and Photos I think it is different. It seems that it is
just for the sake of having a new design. Playing music or organizing
photos were already possible with applications that are well integrated
with GNOME (but with a more traditional design).

So for Music, are the common features with Rhythmbox and Banshee
developed as reusable code, in a library or git submodule? I've heard
that Music uses Tracker, and due to that the performances are really
bad. Rhythmbox and Banshee don't suffer by such performance problems, so
it seems that the Music developers reinvent the wheel, and face the same
problems already solved years ago by other developers.

And for Photos, are the common features with eog and Shotwell developed
as reusable code?

Contributors can do what they like obviously, but GNOME can encourage to
work on more useful things.

Sébastien