Re: About writing new apps from scratch

On 02/16/2014 06:23 PM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
Hi,

I think it is a waste of effort to start writing new apps from scratch,
instead of improving the existing applications.

To give two examples:
- GNOME Music, instead of working on Rhythmbox or Banshee (or …);
- GNOME Photos, instead of working on eog or Shotwell (or …).
In addition to what Emmanuelle said, this is not always the case (see
GNOME Videos = Totem).

Stefan

The existing applications have more features and a more mature code
base. If the code is a bit old and have too many hacks, a better idea in
my opinion is to improve the existing code, instead of starting a new
project from scratch. And if old code are never cleaned up, the same
problem will happen with the new applications in 10 years.

Creating a new design is nice, but if it means to rewrite applications
from scratch, there is a problem somewhere. Unless there are good
underlying libraries that do all the complicated work, and thus the
application would be just the UI to glue together the different
features.

So, what do you think? What are the reasons for GNOME Music and GNOME
Photos? I want to better understand.

Best regards,
Sébastien