Re: GTK2 Themes in GNOME 3

>Haven't confirmed this myself, but what if you symlink ~/.themes/ to
>~/.local/share/themes ? Then anything installed in ~/.local/share/themes
>would also be accessible from ~/.themes/

That is a bad workaround.

1. Tweak will still dublicating themes (Stowers?)
2. GNOME-Shell User Extension uses ~./themes for Shell Themes. I know that Shell Themes aren't officially supported from GNOME but.. (Giovanni?)

This is not complaining or something, but I think is a really unnecessary bug (in gtk2), which I haven't the skills to fix it my self.

Thank you

- alex

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Michael Ikey Doherty <michael i doherty intel com> wrote:
On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 11:29 +0200, alex diavatis wrote:
> Hello,
>

> GNOME 3 GTK3 theme specifications point that themes (user-specific)
> should be installed under ~/.local/share/themes.
> That won't work for GTK2, and GTK2 themes are required to be installed
> in ~/.themes
>

> This is a known bug in bugzilla.gnome (cant find #) and GTK2 themes
> should be accessible under ~/.local/share/themes also.
>

> Installing a theme (GTK2 & GTK3) both in ~./.themes and
> ~./local/share/themes makes Tweak Tool to show themes twice.
>

> In my opinion this is also a security regression since users should
> use root access for installing themes (!!) under ~/usr/share/themes.
> When "users", add several scripts and programs that install themes.
>

> This bug is over a year, and I know GTK2 is not actively developed,
> but there are still many GTK2 apps.
>

> Any solutions for installing GTK (2&3) themes under GNOME3, without
> root privileges?

Haven't confirmed this myself, but what if you symlink ~/.themes/ to
~/.local/share/themes ? Then anything installed in ~/.local/share/themes
would also be accessible from ~/.themes/

- Ikey Doherty