From: "Marina Zhurakhinskaya" <marinaz redhat com>
To: "desktop-devel-list" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, "soc-mentors-list" <soc-mentors-list gnome org>
Cc: "soc-admins" <soc-admins gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:40:27 PM
Subject: GSoC 2014 call for ideas

Dear GNOME hackers,

It's that time of the year again: Google Summer of Code is approaching. We've updated our program pages [1]
to have the latest information and we need your help in creating a list of great project ideas. It's
essential that we have a well-prepared ideas page when GNOME applies as a mentoring organization by February
14.

So what should you do? Please visit the ideas page [2] and enter your project ideas under the "Untriaged
Ideas" section.

 * Discuss your ideas with designers in #gnome-design to get their input and plan collaboration, especially
if your ideas are related to one of the core GNOME modules. If you are not sure who to speak to, start with
Allan Day (aday).
 * Consider manageable ideas consisting of multiple smaller features that share a common theme, in addition
to single large feature ideas. See the information for mentors page [3] for more on preferred project formats
and other mentoring resources.

If you are interested in being a mentor this year or at any point find yourself drafted to be one, please
join soc-mentors-list [4] to receive future communications about GNOME's participation in GSoC, including the
information about important deadlines.

Finally, if you would like to throw your hat in the ring for triaging the ideas and proposals, helping
students find their way in GNOME, and do other GSoC related tasks, pop on over to #soc-admin and join the
team of friendly administrators. So far, it consists of Alexandre Franke, Christophe Fergeau, Fabiano
Fidencio and Marina Zhurakhinskaya, and we would welcome a couple more members. Big thank you to Zeeshan Ali,
who was an administrator last year, and to Daniel Siegel, who was an administrator for 5 years!

Cheers,
The GNOME Google Summer of Code Administrators

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreach/SummerOfCode/2014
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreach/SummerOfCode/2014/Ideas
[3] https://live.gnome.org/Outreach/SummerOfCode/Mentors