Re: HiDPI and fractional scaling

On mån, 2014-02-03 at 09:27 +0000, Loïc Minier wrote:
On Mon, Feb 03, 2014, Alexander Larsson wrote:
[...]
Also, the multi-monitor situation wrt hidpi is essentially unfixable
on X11.

Would you have details or pointers on this part?  (We'll have X around
for many years to come, at least to support legacy apps, so we can't
only rely on Wayland etc. to fix this class of issues.)

Well, the way scaling works on X is that we set a global value for the
scale factor, and all apps just render that much larger. It is
impossible for an X app to render at two sizes for windows that stradle
monitors, and it is very hard to reliably and race-freely track what
output your window is and dynamically resize the geometry as it moves
around. Not to mention the many display-global options X has, such as
mouse acceleration, pointer size, etc, that would be wrong in a hidpi
multi-monitor situation.

I wouldn't say it is impossible to fix this by introducing X extensions
as needed, but this will be a major amount of work.