Re: Translation commits pushed when rolling a tarball

On Sat, 2014-08-02 at 15:38 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
The correct thing to do when that happens is to pull, resulting in a
merge commit in your tree, and then push that upstream.

Merge conflicts are probably less likely to happen in GNOME thanks to
the longer development cycle. In contrast with a merge window of two
weeks in Linux.

So a normal merge should probably be done only when a merge conflict
happens. In the other cases a rebase is better in my opinion (if we
trust Git).

But you're absolutely right, we're doing it wrong™.

As a side note, a merge window has an advantage: it normally prevents
half-finished features to be sneaked in at the last minute, with the
hope that all the bugs will be identified and fixed during the feature
freeze.