Re: Offtopic: Git workflow with external repository and git.gnome.org

Hi, to add to what Germán said, the key point is that one local repository can have several branches, and each of this branches can have a different upstream repository. So you would clone bugzilla's git repo. Then, in a different branch (say, gnome-integration) you would apply your patches, then you set a new git repository on git.gnome.org and push the gnome-integration branch into it, and that's more or less it. That would get you two branches (one for vanilla bugzilla , one for gnome bugzilla) that are attached to two different remote repositories.

Hope it helps

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Germán Poo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 17:29 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> [...]
> Is there any recommended workflow people are using in the following
> situation:
> - be able to commit changes in a self hosted Bugzilla repository
> - use that self hosted Bugzilla repository for own installation (easy)
> - be able to merge changes from git.mozilla.org
> - be able to move from 4.2 branch to 4.4 branch, etc
> - be able to see the difference between local and "pristine upstream"
> - how to set all of this up initially?
> Any recommended workflow to follow?
>
> I'm pretty much an idiot with git. I've found various guides, just
> wondering what people use in practice.

Hi Olav,

I think it depends on how many changes are you going to apply on top of
them.  FWIW, in a similar use case I've used a workflow based on

Though, instead of master I've used a branch named 'stable'.

If you had 2 branches, stable and development. I would "merge" first in
development, fix anything needed to be fixed, run all tests, once happy,
merge development in stable.

You might want to consider rebase instead of a regular merge. So, you
will always see clearly what is on top of upstream (I mean visually,
with a tool like gitg).

In this case, I am assuming you would apply changes for 4.4, like 4.4.1,
4.4.2, and so on.

I have not written the commands because in the link you will find many
examples with diagrams.  I would go for something simpler, but you will
get the idea.  Nevertheless, I can get into the details if you need to.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/