Re: Is gnome fully compliant with freedesktop sepc? Any know issues?

If a GNOME module implements published FreeDesktop specifications, such as the desktop entry specification, or the menu specification, it should always be specificiation-compliant. Of course, bugs in implementations are always possible, and if you have issues with any of our implementations, please file bugs in Bugzilla.

Now, on the specific question about the "desktop specification", I cannot find a part of the specification that requires parsing of environment variables. In fact, it says [0]:

    The name or path of the executable program may not contain the equal sign ("="). Arguments are separated by a space.

So, it is required behavior that we do not parse environment variables in Exec lines, and that we abort on any Exec line that has an equals sign.

[0] http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s06.html