Is gnome fully compliant with freedesktop sepc? Any know issues?

Hi,

A year ago, I developed an application menu system based on
freedesktop spec for Linux desktop system. Unfortunately, it did not
work in gnome, but works perfect on xfce and kde. I was not clear if
gnome is not compliant with freedesktop spec, or if gnome uses its own
desktop spec. Even today, if I switch from thunar to nautilus file
manager, the desktop launcher cannot run due to it could not interpret
environmental variables such as "path=$HOME".

But I could be missing some thing in gnome as well. I am currently
look for if we can run the menu system in gnome and appreciate any
comments and helps.

Thank you.

Kind regards.