Re: steam games

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Tomasz Torcz <tomek pipebreaker pl> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:18:55AM +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> I think that it'd be more interesting to engage with Valve to know how
> the GNOME platform could help steam get a better product. It is an
> interesting ISV usecase.

  But GNOME platform is not Steam's target.  Valve is targeting Unity,
but virtue of making Ubuntu primary platform. GNOME is a niche for them.

They'll let anybody use Steam.  But they are QA'ing on Ubuntu.  Ubuntu of course is the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to distributions.  So it makes sense that they would adopt the most popular distro with the largest user base.

What I'm interested in is to make sure that we are tracking any performance or bad behaviour issues with steam games and are sensitive to it.

It doesn't take a genius to know that games is the holy grail of any platform and we should be able to attract a lot more people to the platform because of it.  However, they'll switch to something else if the experience is less than stellar in this age of rapid communications via social networks.

What I don't want to see is some article on top 5 list of distros and GNOME based distros are panned because the performance sucks on Steam.

I'm still working on getting a contact within Steam to be able to have a method of testing games.

sri

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzichubg chrome pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox