Re: steam games

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 gmail com>
Para: Tomasz Torcz <tomek pipebreaker pl>
CC: desktop-devel-list gnome org
Enviado: Sábado 16 de febrero de 2013 11:33
Asunto: Re: steam games

On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 11:12 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
 On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:18:55AM +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
 > I think that it'd be more interesting to engage with Valve to know
how
 > the GNOME platform could help steam get a better product. It is an
 > interesting ISV usecase.

   But GNOME platform is not Steam's target.  Valve is targeting Unity,
 but virtue of making Ubuntu primary platform. GNOME is a niche for them.

1. I haven't contacted Valve directly it looks like they are playing
nice with other distros, which are not using Unity. For example they
change the license to make it distributable, remove apt-get dependency
autoinstall, post non-dpkg installer, give people who explicitly stated
they are not using Ubuntu early beta access etc. I haven't experienced
any problems with Valve games on Gentoo (I've experienced a few problems
with non-Valve games though and I needed to use Google).
2. To at least some extend Unity is based on GNOME (not WM and few other
pieces).

If Valve games doesn't work with GNOME, gamers will switch to another
environment. Valve is a big player in the game industry and it is
expected new games will be released for Valve for Linux, so I think it is a
good idea that Valve games (or games in general) can run in GNOME if possible.

There are some predictions that say the GNU/Linux will be an important gaming platform.

Just my two cents,

   -- Juanjo Marin