Re: Announcement/RFC: jhbuild continuous integration testing

hi;

On 13 February 2013 22:11, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 06:42 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
>
>> I know, it sounds like some CPU will be melting quickly
>> at the rate gnome-wide commits are made... but it would be
>> simply awesome, if we could automatically pull out the exact
>> commit which introduced exactly which failed build report in
>> which module (and then as you mentioned, we probably need
>> to notify both the author of the commit, and the maintainer
>> of the effected module).
>
> If basically you want to ensure that each commit is buildable,
> the best way to do that is to have builders try *queued patches*, not
> just master.

this is what the try server at Mozilla does:

  https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/TryServer

the try server is a *great* tool (even if, sadly, is affected by
Mercurial being arse) and it makes contributing code much, much safer.
the try server can also be told to send the result of a patch set
straight to a bug, so that the build status and the test suite result
is recorded along with the bug.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--