Re: Announcement/RFC: jhbuild continuous integration testing

On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 06:42 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

> I know, it sounds like some CPU will be melting quickly
> at the rate gnome-wide commits are made... but it would be
> simply awesome, if we could automatically pull out the exact
> commit which introduced exactly which failed build report in
> which module (and then as you mentioned, we probably need
> to notify both the author of the commit, and the maintainer
> of the effected module).

If basically you want to ensure that each commit is buildable,
the best way to do that is to have builders try *queued patches*, not
just master.

That's how competently-run projects like OpenStack work; to pick
a random example:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/21611/

You can see in Comment 2 the jenkins builder ran through a number of
gating tests.

I plan to do this eventually for the OSTree builder - the system
is designed around cloning, so it should be quite cheap to clone
the master builder, apply a patch series from bugzilla, build that,
and run the tests.