Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    We should pick our fights, on the other hand, GitHub has released more
    open source code and tools than the gitorious community.

In connection with GNOME, please say "free/libre", not "open source".

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
for more explanation of the difference between free software and open
source.

We're aware of the distinction between open source software and free/libre software. GitHub, the organization in question, is associated with the open source community and all its libraries are licensed under the non-copyleft 2-clause BSD license.

See also http://thebaffler.com/past/the_meme_hustler for
Evgeny Morozov's article on the same point.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation