Re: Touchscreen Compatibility [was: Feature proposal: combined system status menu]

Tomas Frydrych <tf+lists gnome r-finger com> wrote:
As a basic, but I think pertinent, example -- if one of the reasons for
the current design being touch unfriendly is that certain UI elements
are too small (which is the most rudimentary problem any UI moving from
pointer to touch faces), making them bigger will result in
non-negligeable loss of screen realestate on small laptop screens, and
deeper the touch improvements will go, the more significant this will
be. It worries me :-)

Did you look at the wireframes? We're not making the top bar any
taller, and it won't take space away from applications. The only
change to the size of the items in the top bar is to make them wider
(although the icons will stay the same size).

This proposal is designed to provide a better experience when using
pointer input (indeed, I listed a whole series of reasons that it will
be an improvement in that context).

Allan