Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:14 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Marco Scannadinari
<marco scannadinari co uk> wrote:
In fact, I think that these sorts of subtle
design-based decisions should be held in something like loomio (see
recent loomio post in desktop-devel), to be later implemented if the
response is positive.

And as has been mentioned on that thread, this is "design by
committee", which is not how it works (or should work). Yes, sometimes
controversial changes are reversed at a later point, and a user vote
would almost certainly have prevented the controversial change in the
first place, but it would also prevent those controversial changes
that turned out right - in particular, neither GNOME 2 nor GNOME 3
would have happened in the first place.

I think your suggestion of a "feature" branch can be a worthy compromise, though.

Except that Bastien is right - while on a branch, a feature will
hardly be tested by anyone than other core developers of the same
module. It's unfortunate, but "real" users generally only get to test
a new feature once it appears in their distro (read: some time after
the feature appears in a stable GNOME release).

Another option is to use the extension system for that. But I am not
sure that will get us a lot more testers either without active
promotion.
So yeah I agree the only way to get real users to test it is to merge it.