Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

        Unfortunately, we don't have the benefit of two years of betas,
        so if we implement and deliver this 3.10, there is a risk of an
        impendance mismatch between what's expected from the designs and
        theory behind them, and how the user effectively react. Which
        would bring even more negative publicity to GNOME.
        This is generally a problem of every fast releasing project with
        little man power, so it affected many of the features in 3.8 and
        before, but at least at time we had the validation of other
        systems doing the same.
        To me, a reasonable compromise (yet to decide if technically
        possible) would be to have a "feature branch", that is not
        merged in master until after it's thoroughly user tested. And
        that possibly gets punted to 3.12 or never, if it turns out to
        be a bad idea.

I completrely agree.

Sorry to rant, but nobody outside this list (or maype
gnome-{design,desktop}) has been notifieied of this proposal that will
probably be merged. In fact, I think that these sorts of subtle
design-based decisions should be held in something like loomio (see
recent loomio post in desktop-devel), to be later implemented if the
response is positive. I think your suggestion of a "feature" branch can
be a worthy compromise, though.
--
Marco Scannadinari <marco scannadinari co uk>